What we love and what captures our curiosity draws us forward into some place of great destiny. 
WAYNE MULLER

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So I was finally able to get some pics posted from my big 10k race I completed this past weekend. Katie & I finished the 10k, my time being 1:04, and my mom walked the 5k with Teags. This is whole race was basically for Teagan as almost a year ago while she was at Children's Hospital Seattle I remember wandering through the hospital reading the hospitals' most recent newsletter. It had pictures and results of the 10k race and then there were pictures of patients and their families and at the time I told Justin that next year I would be completing this race for T. I did it! 

I know this sounds all corny and sappy like but as I was running all I could think about is how almost a year ago we could have lost our sweet T bear. When the status of her life was on an hour-t0-hour basis and we had no clue what her outcome would be. As my legs were getting tired I had visions of almost every single little detail of her hospital stay including the lame almost year old magazines in the pumping rooms, or the pomegranate tea I would get from the cafeteria, or the smell of the soap in her NICU room, it was like it was yesterday that we were there... So as I set out to complete more races I hope those memories stay fresh and in my head as they served as fuel for my fire and helped me cross that finish line. 

My goal for the next 10k in September will be to complete it in under 1 hour. After that I'm on to the Leavenworth half marathon and help me God on that one! 

Thanks again Ash for all your encouragement! 

4 comments:

Roxanne Pearce Photography said...

Incredible. Amazing. Inspiring. You must be so proud! And what a great inspiration you had to keep you going.

I still remember the soap smell of the NICU in Portland....weird, the things that stick with you isn't it?

Sara said...

I was just thinking the other day how T's 1st Birthday was coming up. I love that little girl so much and I am so proud of your whole family for fighting so hard during such a hard time. You are an inspiration to me for sure!!

Lucie said...

So proud of you Mary! Your family is precious and so happy you've got your wonderful little girl with you! It's been so fun looking at the pictures of her as she gets older. Hope we can stay in touch in the coming years after I'm done with school. I hope to move back to the wenatchee area. I realized I don't have you email address...do you think you can send it to me?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Reading this brings tears to my eyes, one for the uncertain days a year ago, two tears of happiness for today.

Love you-TT